Brain, Emotions, and Mindfulness in Young Teens at Risk for Bipolar Disorder (BEaM)
Purpose: The BEaM Study would like to test how well a mindfulness group works in children with mood swings, and how mindfulness affects brain function, thought, and emotions.
Who can participate:
- children between 10 and 14 years who have
- a parent or sibling with bipolar disorder and have
- frequent mood swings and
- have not been diagnosed with bipolar disorder
What does the study involve:
- initial assessment (1-2 hours) : Interview questionnaires about current and past psychiatric symptoms
- brain scans: 2 visits (2-3 hours with scan taking 1 hour)
- weekly mindfulness group (60-90 minutes) for 8 weeks
- 3-month follow-up (1-2 hours)
f you are interested in hearing more about this study and would like to see if you are eligible, please call Danella Hafeman (412) 246-5820 or Email.